Saturday, August 15, 2009

Trappistes Rochefort 10

Ah, Rochefort 10...A Belgian quadruple, 11.3% !

This one's in my top five favorite beers of all time. It's pretty similar to the Westvleteren 12, which is perfection. Although this beer can be found all over the place in the States, I can't seem to get my hands on any (though #8 turns up occasionally). Cari ended up ordering some from BelgiumShop.com and had it shipped to us for my birthday. I've been rationing them out slowly.

I'd heard many great things about this brew before my trip to Belgium, so I had this one on my list. When I asked the bartender at the Delirium Cafe if they had any Rochefort 10, he laughed, "I should hope so!". It's like asking Hooters if they have any Bud Light.

This is a pretty small bottle, it pours a dark, opaque brown - kind of cloudy looking, with no head. It smells like sweet dark fruit, with plenty of alcohol and malt coming through.

The taste is sweet, with molasses and sweet malt, followed by some alcohol burn. It numbs the tongue, yet is surprisingly smooth.

This is not beer. It's something bigger, something better, something more important. There's just something different about beer made with love by monks to glorify God, to spread cheer, to fund their operation...whatever the reason, I'm glad they do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment