Saturday, August 15, 2009

Baron's Black Wattle Seed Ale

Baron's Black Wattle Superior Ale, 5.8%, Wollahra, Australia.

I must admit, I'd never heard of Baron's or wattle seed before, and Australian beers are pretty scarce around here, so I was pretty excited to find this at Total Wine in Palm Beach Gardens.

It turns out that wattle seed is what Australians call acacia berries...or something. I'm not sure I could identify acacia in a lineup, but I've heard of it, at least.

It pours a deep reddish brown with a thick tan head that disappears quickly. It smells like toffee, maybe some molasses. The taste is surprisingly rich - toffee, some chocolate, a little grain and toasty aftertaste, followed by some coffee flavors. All this, while remaining fairly medium-bodied.
It's hard to believe it's got a slightly higher alcohol punch.
In one word: yum. This was a good find.

No comments:

Post a Comment